Pages

Mileage counter

Friday 24 September 2010

Trail Intervals

Hello everyone! I tried something new this week... And I'm not sure if I like it, but it was definately good for me! I had 10 400s planned so Mike suggested we go to a dirt track he had run on before, he told me it would be tough! We decided to bike down instead of jog as a warm up as we were a bit short of time.

The track turned out to be slightly uphill and quite bumpy! It was definately a challenge.. The uphill intervals were sickening.. I was literally dreading them each time. I considered quitting at 8 repeats so many times! I did get to 10 though, I'm not entirely sure how... I don't have my exact splits as I can't get them off the garmin at the moment, I'll try and get them later though. My pace for the repeats was supposed to be 1.50, my uphill interval times ranged from 1.48-1.53 and my downhill ones were 1.29-1.32. It said I was running at a 5.58 average pace for one of those. I couldn't believe that!

I skipped my tempo run planned for today as my calves were really sore still, not sure if it was running on the uneven land? Plus, honestly I might have skipped it anyway as Mike's sister has come to visit and she's only here 'til Sunday so we'll be spending some time with her before she goes back home. Speaking of which I'm going to keep this short and sweet!

Hope everyone has a brilliant weekend!

13 comments:

  1. High 5's to you girl. Way to push yourself! Enjoy the time with Mike's sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! That sounds like one tough workout! I hate running up hills, so running intervals uphill would be even worse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gahhhh you're making me feel like such a slacker! killer workouts. i've been debating whether or not i should do some uphill intervals. maybe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those hills sound awful! Hope you have a great weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work!! Enjoy the family time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine how tough those were on a trail. WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sore calves will be from running uphill and fast - do that and you'll naturally get up onto your toes bringing the calves into play far more.

    Running on trails is great though - really strengthens the ankles and stabilising muscles through running on uneven surfaces. I'm lucky in that I live on the edge of the city - I can be running woodland trails, cross country or fells all within a few minutes of home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab work well done :)
    You always seem to do well at pushing yourself.
    Enjoy the relaxing time too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great workout! Just to let you know I'm doing a cookie/cake exchange for uk bloggers and thought you might like to take part, check this post if you:
    http://www.saladandsequins.com/2010/09/cookie-exchange-info.html

    Have fun with Mikes sister x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very inspiring story to read, thanks for sharing more good thoughts. Nice blog too.



    zbsports

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope your calves feel better soon!

    New follower here! hope you can swing by my blog some time =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Laura,
    Awesome job on the hill workouts and intervals! We have several hills in Maple Grove and basically everytime I go out on a run I have to tackle a few:) I do need to start doing hill repeats....I know that they would help me to improve. If there is somewhere in a race where we can get ahead of our competition it is the hills! Oh the joy of screaming calves! It just means that you worked hard! Take care and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete