Pages

Mileage counter

Saturday 17 September 2011

The Day my Clumsiness Finally Landed me in A&E....

Those of you who follow me on twitter probably already know about my run in with Roxie's water bowl... For those of you who don't I'll fill you in! On Wednesday I was making my pre boxing food... Actually this is where I could blame Sarah 'cause she voted for Jacket tater and beans over pizzert and pizzert wouldn't have involved a knife hehe just kidding Sarah! Anyways... I managed to somehow knock the knife off the worktop and sent it flying towards my foot.. I deftly leapt out of the way... and landed on Roxie's water bowl which broke and cut my foot open...  Cue much hopping around trying to find the first aid kit dripping blood everywhere and realising what a huge wimp I am at the sight of my own blood! Eventually found it and put a dressing on.. Stubbornly I decided I was still going to the gym if the blood didn't soak through the dressing before I was setting off...It didn't so off I hobbled to boxing (on my bike)... I struggled through the session feeling more and more pain, did a few rounds of sparring(!) some bags, some footwork (owwwwwwwww) some core (thank goodness) and a cool down!

When I went to get weighed at the end I realised there was blood on my sock I showed it to my coach and he suggested I went to get it glued up to help it heal faster... So off I rode to A&E! Gladly two of my friends came with me, bought me some chocolate and kept me company during the wait. (I actually typed weight then ughh can you tell what's on my mind!!) Luckily I was seen after about two hours, the nurse was able to glue me up and send me on my way... She opened the cut up to check there was no remainder of dog bowl in there... that was so, so painful, I thought I was going to be sick! Then she glued it up for me... She thought I was mental for going to the gym first and I am inclined to agree! I didn't really think it was too bad at first, yesterday I couldn't walk on it, today it's a little better.. I can bike though, and biked home from casualty haha it wasn't as hardcore as it sounds though, the cut is on the front of my foot so I could just pedal with my heel, in fact, biking is less painful than walking at the moment!

Well I can't remember the full gym workout anymore but I did do some sparring last Wednesday... sorry forgot to recap this one and now I can't remember it too well.. I did 3 x 3 minute rounds, I had a throat infection and felt really slow and sluggish.. I was still flinching which is really annoying me!I felt like this sparring went really badly but my coach and one of the younger lads dads who were watching both said it was good... I don't know if sometimes I'm too hard on myself, it just didn't go quite as I'd hoped


Sparring this Wednesday, done on bad foot oops! Was good sparring though, There were a few of us ready round the ring to spar, I was in first and did a round with a different opponent every 30s ish! This is really good because you're going against someone fresh when you're tired so it really forces you to work hard. I really enjoyed this sparring, I went against two southpaws which was hard.. I'm still getting used to changing up my shots to be more effective against southpaws.. I also went against an infighter which I really enjoyed, I'm more than happy to go toe to toe with someone and it gave me a chance to attempt some uppercuts and get off some good body shots. I kind of forgot about my foot hurting until I landed badly on it right at the end of my final round in there.. was kind of embarassing as I cried out in pain! Oh well! I'm looking forward to more sparring like this! I've got a lot to work on and I don't necessarily notice it on the bags!


This injury and being unable to go to the gym last night did trigger off an episode of purging. I'm mentioning it on the blog as I actually ended up vomiting blood. In ten years of disordered eating this is the first time it's happened and it scared me. I hope that fright is going to be a good thing and hopefully help me stop the purging at least. It really drives home how much damage it does to your body. I rung NHS direct and googled about to see what I should do. It seems this time I got lucky and probably just had a minor esophageal tear but it could have been worse.. Just because I've been lucky enough to not have severe problems from electrolyte imbalances yet does not make me immune... I'm going to take this as a wake up call and I'm sharing it because I hope anyone else reading and struggling can take a positive change from this too!