Pages

Mileage counter

Monday 15 August 2011

Vegan Roast Vegetable Paella

A lot of you will probably already know I spent my Saturday night making a roast vegetable paella with my dad who had just got home from a holiday in Spain... Just realised I maybe should have took some pictures of me and dad but being in food blogger mode I only got food pics... On the other hand clearly not being in food blogger mode I forgot my camera so these are pictures from my blackberry so they aren't as good as I'd like but you get the idea!

First we prepped the veg, courgette, aubergine, sweet flame red pepper, onion, butternut squash and a clove of garlic in foil to add to the rice.

Then, and this step is essential, poured a glass of wine..
Put the paella rice on to cook in a frying pan with salt, pepper, veg stock and saffron

add in peas and chickpeas

and some sliced mushrooms

Simmer until cooked, squeeze in some of your roast garlic and serve buried in roast veg

I didn't take a picture but I then mixed it all together..

I recommend this rose, was yummy! From M&S and suitable for vegans, went well with the paella (in my non wine buff opinion!)

Also some very easy to drink apple schnapps my dad brought home from Spain... this went down far too easily!

Some of you following me on twitter may also know this meal was followed by my gran's home made apple pie and custard... I enjoyed it too quickly to photograph though.. oops! Sorry guys!

The only changes I would have made would have been to roast the veg a bit longer and to have fried the rice off in some tomato puree before adding the stock, I think that would have added to the flavour quite a lot! Hope you enjoy it if you make it, it was yummy!