My planned workout for today was intervals. 4 x 1200m (5.42) with 400m recovery. As we're trying to save money we have cut out the track from our weekly budget.. This makes me sad, I love running at the track but we're saving money for something important and it will be worth it... All will be revealed soon!
Warm up 1 mile 10.12
1200m - 5.34
1200m - 5.44
1200m - 5.36
1200m - 5.43
Cool down 0.6 miles at about 11min/mile pace.. so tired!!!
Total milage 5.6
Intervals on the road instead of the track.
*Cheaper - it costs almost a tenner for Mike and I to use the local track, it's cheaper to go swimming!!
*For part of the time you get to look like a super speedy road runner...
*Can go to areas where you will be racing - i.e. hills/bridge
*Following on from that, it gives slight changes which would not be present on a track, in this case I was running my intervals up a street and the next down a street. There is a slight hill which isn't really noticeable but it slowed down intervals 2 and 4 even though all intervals had the same perceived effort. I've put this as a pro as it's more realistic for racing.
*No visual cues to know when to speed up
*Garmin not 100% accurate on short distances
*Worse on the joints
*I like the fact that the track is the one place Mike and I can run together since our paces are so different.
Luke at The Super Fatlete tagged me in a fun question post! Here they are!
1. What is your favorite song quote?
It's not your birthday anymore, there's no need to be kind to you.. By Morrissey full lyrics can be found here, I remember laughing out loud the first time I heard it. I love Morrissey, we saw him live a few years ago and it was by far the best live show I've ever been to, he has some amazing stage presence.
2. What is your favorite exercise or workout?
I love sparring, it tires you out like nothing else I've ever done and it keeps you thinking all the time. I always get out of the ring feeling exhilerated and since it's such a hard work exercise you feel really good afterwards that you've got a great workout. And when you make improvements or land good shots or slip/block your opponents shots you feel really good too.
3. Favorite place to go on vacation and activity to do?
I have very fond memories of Florida as we used to go there on holiday every year when I was growing up but it will take some pursuading to get Mike there! I like going on holiday where there are plenty of places to go walking and exploring, I like rural areas best.
4. Do you collect anything, if so what and how did it start?
I used to collect thimbles and dolls in national dress when I was a child, I don't collect them anymore but they're all still at my parent's house. The dolls started as my grandparents travelled a lot and they used to bring me a doll from every country and I think that's how the thimbles started too. My brother and I used to get so excited for them coming home hehe. I also used to collect magnets, I had a radiator full of mainly Disney magnets, can't forget the masses of Disney teddies too haha!
5. Hardest obstacle you have had to overcome in your weight loss/fitness/training goals?
It took me ages to be able to do a chin-up. Ages! I did end up acheiving it after a few weeks total rest after some minor surgery though, proving that rest can be really useful sometimes.
6. What do you do now and if you could choose any career what would it be?
I work in a care home at the moment. The career I always wanted was to play in a big orchestra but as I got older I realised this wasn't an option. My career goals now are more focussed on a caring proffession
7. If you could choose an exotic animal to have as a pet what would it be?
I would love a pet monkey!
8. Do you use a reward system for your goals, (formally set or not) and if so what is your favorite reward?
No I don't, I've never really considered this idea before, maybe it would be good! The closest I come to this I guess is when I'm doing a long run I run a fast mile and then let myself have a kind of recovery mile..
Now, I tag everyone who reads my blog who ran today (or anyone else who wants to answer them)! Here's my questions - running/fitness theme!
- What do you feel is your biggest fitness acheivment?
- What is your favourite type of music to listen to when you run?
- What is your favourite distance?
- What's the most impulsive thing you've ever done fitness wise?
- What's your favourite post race/run meal?
- What's your favourite pre-run fuel?
- Do you use gels or anything similar to fuel during long runs?
- Why did you start running?