Pages

Mileage counter

Thursday 2 September 2010

Speedy 5k!

Hello everyone!

I realised today that I was a week behind on my 10k schedule for the race in October. I decided I'd jig things around to get a schedule that would work for me.. I also unashamedly got rid of the 9 mile tempo, I just couldn't face another long run with no music! I replaced it with a 3 mile tempo run, which soon became a 5k time trial...

Here's the new schedule, it's almost entirely the Run Less Run Faster plan just slightly rearranged... Click to enlarge..
I ended up having a great run!

5k in 24.51 average pace 8.01 WOOHOOOO!! Fastest ever! (last time 25.08, 8.06)
Mile 1 - 8.03
Mile 2 - 8.02
Mile 3 - 7.59 (3 miles in 24.04)
0.1 - 0.46 (7.40 pace)

This run felt really strong for the first two miles, the last mile was really, really horrible! It was really embarrassing actually because at mile 3.05 I had to stop the garmin and spent about 30 seconds dry heaving by some poor persons fence. After I'd got myself together I looked around shiftily and saw two builders giving me funny looks.. oh no! I grinned at them and ran off, I felt rather silly!!

I was hoping to run a 5k in under 25 minutes so I was really happy with my time! Next time I'm hoping that my splits will all begin with a 7!

Laura at Live Well, Laugh Often, Run Much was kind enough to give me an award!


1. Answer the question: If you had one chance to go back and change one thing in your life, would you and what would it be?

I wouldn't change anything.. I have made some bad decisions along the way and I sometimes wish I'd worked harder in my first few years of university, I also wish I'd never got an eating disorder or met my ex boyfriend! But all those things made me who I am today and without those things in my life I would be a totally different person today. I might not love running or healthy eating, I might never have met Mike...

2. Pick 6 people and give them this award. You then have to inform the person that they have been selected for the award.

Hotchoc26
Simply Fabulous
Bambi's Eats
I Can Haz Fud?
Running From, Running To...
Brit Bride

Enjoy some more Brit blogs :-)

15 comments:

  1. High 5's on the run. That's great. At least the first 2 miles were great ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I feel so honoured! Thank you so much for nominating me you star! Do I need to do any thing? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. DUH! Just realised I am to do as you have done above - answer the question then pick 6 people! Sorry! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job!!!!!! super consistent + fast and ended with a BANG!! way to work hard :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wowza on a great run. want to give me some of that?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura,
    Way to rock that 5K...you had a very impressive time:)

    I love your response to the question about what you would change in your life. I would answer it very similar to you:)

    I just happen to love Brit blogs! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Training!

    Tagged you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl! That's super fast! I'm glad you didn't have to go without music this time :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the award :)

    And good job on the 5k! If I could only get my 3 milers anywhere near the 7s.. 10k training is awesome for variety though - you get the speed and the vo2 max training (and, apparently, the 9 mile tempo runs - WT.. !? I would have ditched that too!)

    When's the race?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good stuff and well done!

    The feeling of running fast is great. Running long makes me feel determined, tough, resilient, but running fast is a whole different buzz.

    The schedule is interesting. Most 10k schedules might have you running up to 10 miles but only at easy pace, whereas yours has you running 40% over distance but far closer to race pace. That echoes a book I read a couple of months back which advocating LRs (as opposed to LSRs) far closer to goal race pace for marathons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow your speeds are amazing! I would love to be able to achieve that but speed is definitely not my thing! Love that you wouldn't change anything in life - I agree that our decisions both good and bad are what make us who we are x

    ReplyDelete
  12. great schedule hun, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the lovely comments everyone!

    Alison - the 10k is on the 24th of October.. Seemed like I had loads of time a few weeks ago and now it feels really close!

    Rob - The paces for the long runs really surprised me aswell, I'm finding them really, really hard as I've never run any of my long runs that fast, but I love a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow super speedy 5k well done :)
    Maria

    ReplyDelete