Pages

Mileage counter

Sunday 21 February 2010

21/02/10

AM
Today I did a variation of workout capacity 101 from Ross Enamait's book infinite intensity for a video (not of me I'm afraid!) and more info from the man himself, see here. My variation is really the same except it swaps chair dips for pull-ups, for two reasons, 1) I usually do this workout with Mike and we'd both be fighting for the pull-up bar if we both did pull-ups and 2) if I had to do 5 pull-ups each round it would take me all day!! Also my medicine ball slams were more like swings as our floorboards would probably not cope with medicine ball slams! Anyway the workout is...
  • 5 Chair dips
  • 10 Medicine ball slams (12kg)
  • 15 Burpees
  • 20 Jumping jacks
x 10 rounds in 18.55

This workout might look easy on paper but I promise you it is absolute HELL! My entire body hurt afterwards!!

I've blogged a few times about the caramel apple spice cupcakes from veganomicon, I wasn't sure about posting the recipe but I've seen it posted elsewhere on the web so I'm going to share it here too. The frosting makes these cupcakes really good, it's definately worth making.

Caramel Apple Spice Cupcakes
2 apples
2 tablespoons brown sugar (I use xylitol)
1 tablespoon margerine
1 cup of milk (non-dairy for vegan version)
1 tablespoon of lemon juick
1/3 cup of canola oil (I use applesauce)
3/4 cup sugar (I use xylitol and slightly less than 3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon of grated lemon zest (I leave out)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour (I use plain wholemeal)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Caramel Penuche Frosting
1/2 cup sugar (I use xylitol)
3 tablespoons margerine
1 tablespoon molasses
2 tablespoons powdered milk (I use soy protein powder)
1/3 cup milk (non dairy for vegan version)
pinch of salt
2 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar (I make my own with xylitol and use less than 2.5 cups)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup toasted nuts to top (I use cashews)

Directions
Cupcakes
  1. Preheat oven to 350f or 177c
  2. Chop apples into 1/4 inch pieces (leave skin on)
  3. Heat sugar and marg in a heavy skillet over medium heat until bubbling
  4. Add apples and cook until all liquid has evapourated about 12 minutes
  5. In a large bowl mix milk and lemon juice allow to sit for a minute or so
  6. Add oil, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla, stir
  7. Sift in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg mix until flour is moistened, don't overmix
  8. Fold in apples
  9. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full
  10. Bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean
Frosting
  1. Combine sugar, margerine, molasses, powdered milk, milk and salt in a pan over medium heat, stir constantly.
  2. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly
  3. Add vanilla and gradually add confectioners' sugar
  4. It should end up thick and fudge like
  5. Top cupcakes while the frosting is still hot
  6. Top with nuts
  7. Enjoy!!
PM
10 Chin-ups
Neck exercises

6 comments:

  1. sounds like a killer workout! i would definitely think my body would hurt after that.

    and neck exercises? i know that they obviously are important but it looks funny to see it written out ;)

    thanks for the recipe too. yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, did you type out this entire recipe? that's a workout it's self. i just caught up in typing fractions, and lines and stuff..okay, maybe I'm just lazy;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cupcakes sound gorgeous - and dangerous!!!
    Just wanted to say thanks for the link you gave me for the nutritional yeast - I've already placed an order and I'm looking forward to trying it on some popcorn!!!
    And also I wanted to mention that I'm more than a little bit in awe of your training schedule. Makes my little walks look very unimpressive. I don't think I could box myself - I'm pretty sure I'd spend my whole time apologising (even to the punchbag!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! These sound divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, even on paper that workout is wicked. Kudos to you for doing it!
    Will need to try those cupcakes, yum!
    Pool running post coming up. Believe me, I was totally clueless too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Veganomicon and took a list of all the recipes I wanted to try but I haven't gotten around to any of them yet (apart from a "cheese" sauce using nutritional yeast which was pretty stunning). So many recipes, not enough hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete